Re: Here we go again *SIGH*

Op Do, 2009-03-12 om 09:55 +0100 skryf Johannes Schmid:
> Most developers seem to work in "C" Locale anyway or (like me) simply
> cannot see easily if a string is simply not translated to their locale
> as they added it recently or if it's not marked.

Hallo Johannes, everybody

Please have a look at podebug from the Translate Toolkit:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/podebug

It is made specifically to solve this problem. You can create a PO file
with all strings filled with a "pseudo-translation". This should make it
mostly obvious which strings are not marked for translation. Of course
you have to exercise the application quite a bit, but I assume most
developers know how to do that with their own software.

This is part of the preparation for string freeze of the applications we
develop. In fact, we like to do it all the time as features are added.

Podebug has different modes for the pseudo translation, including one
that will add a rich non-ascii version of the string that still
resembles the English somewhat. That also allows a developer to test for
correct handling of non-ascii information.

To test the resulting files, this page might also be of help:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/guide/testing

I hope this is useful.

Keep well
Friedel