Re: Bugs in translations in native language?

Jorge González González <aloriel gmail com>, Sat, 06 Jun 2009 10:02:31
+0200:

> El sáb, 06-06-2009 a las 02:50 +0200, Petr Kovar escribió:
> > Jorge González <aloriel gmail com>, Fri, 5 Jun 2009 20:54:30 +0200:

> > > well, if the bug is related with translations, why would it be better
> > > to report it in English? for me it makes no sense. Just very few times
> > > some ones (Andre, Claude, ...) have joined a l10n Spanish bug. I don't
> > > see the point.
> >
> > The point is that guiding people to report bugs in their native
> > languages to Bugzilla with English interface is a little bit
> > impractical, or in other words, just odd. ;-)
> well, I don't see it like that, there are many pages in English on the
> Internet, and people from other countries still visit them (even just to
> see pics).

Yes, but then again, there's a distinction between "being able to visit" and
"being able to contribute"...

> The interface is not very difficult to understand, but I know many
> people do not create bugs because it's in English or because they have
> to create an account.

Exactly, that's the problem.

> I really believe that having bugzilla localised
> would help, but anyway, if they have their desktop localised they will
> write the "steps to reproduce the bug" in their language, not in
> English.

At the end of the day, it's still the particular l10n team that manages the
possible ways to report l10n issues. I, for myself, see friendlier and
easier facilities for l10n bug reporting than the overly technology-oriented
Bugzilla system and will encourage people to use more straightforward
methods. So let's do what suits our teams and user bases best, I
think. :-)

Regards,
Petr Kovar