Re: Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo (yo, ha, ig) po files

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Thomas Thurman <tthurman gnome org> wrote:
> Ysgrifennodd Luis Villa:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Thomas Thurman <tthurman gnome org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks.  The ISO seems to have vanished, but there's a 480Mb disk image
>>> here, which seems to be where the .mo files came from:
>>>
>>> http://wazobialinux.com/downloads/wlce.hda.img.21.09.2006
>>>
>>> Could someone who knows what they're looking for dissect this?
>>
>> Are the .po files likely to be in there? Or are they likely to be only
>> .mo files
>
> I don't know what's in there, but the person who sent me the .po files
> claims he got them from taking the .mo files out of that image and
> decompiling them, which seems to indicate that the .po files won't be in
> there.  As I said before, though, I don't know what I'm looking for.

And I don't know where to look, so we're equally blind :)

I guess the obvious question is 'where are translation files likely to
be'? I can scan the obvious locations for a distro-wide license, but
I'm not holding my breath on that, so it'd be ideal if we could find
something more specific.

>> (which, afaik, have no license information in them?)
>
> Maybe in future we need to make the gettext tools enforce a rule that the
> header block of a .po file contains licence information, instead of assuming
> it's okay to leave it in the comments.

That would certainly be a good idea to get upstream.

Luis

P.S. I'm on jury duty through the end of January, so my time on this
is very, very, very limited right now, as is email responsiveness. If
others can/would like to look into this instead, it'd be terrific.