Re: Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo (yo, ha, ig) po files

CC'ing kde-i18n-doc@ and GNOME's legal-list
Everybody please take a second to think before hitting the "Reply to
all" button. Thanks. :-P

Start of this thread:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2008-December/msg00071.html

** QUICK SUMMARY: **

This is about http://www.gnome.org/~tthurman/yo-ha-ig/ .
These are .po files extracted from a Nigerian distro called "Wazobia
Linux".
Several KDE and GNOME applications were translated into the three
languages in the subject line, a user has found a disk image, extracted
the .mo files, decompiled them to .po and sent them to Thomas Thurman.

Note that the .po files are three or four years old.
(The GNOME .po files available are epiphany, evolution, gnome-desktop,
gnome-menus, gnome-panel, gnome-session, metacity, nautilus.)

There are also lots of KDE files, hence CC'ing kde-i18n-doc@ in case
they are a) interested and b) might provide legal input too.

** LEGAL ISSUE: **

Nobody succeeded in contacting Wazobia Linux, or the translators
themselves. Messages bounce.

So to me it boils down to the question: "Can we just take the .po files
without asking anybody?" and (like Johannes wrote earlier) "if a
translation can be considered a derived work."

andre
--
 mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed