Re: wrong translations of string "Rule" in gtkhtml

On 9/11/08, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 10.09.2008, 09:08 -0300 schrieb Leonardo F. Fontenelle:
> > Even worse: it seems that providing a patch makes a lot of difference in
>  > having the bug fixed. Those issues should be trivial to fix for
>  > developers and yet very important for translators, but sometimes were
>  > are left without a reply for months (or years). Providing a patch means
>  > that a translator must learn SVN, check out the source code, and
>  > actually read and try to understand it. Does anyone here think it is
>  > reasonable to expect this from a translator?
>
> I don't think anybody expects that and I don't think that it's
>  translators' work to improve the strings. It's developers' work, and to
>  increase awareness of L10N issues, it's currently the workflow in gnome
>  to file bugs on that.

Exactly.

Everyone should be able to file a bug in Bugzilla. Using
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/simple-bug-guide.cgi isn't too complicated.
The volume of bugs can be difficult; some module developers are not
native English speakers either. :) But if you find some strange
messages, or messages needing comments, that you find particularily
difficult, just file a bug report. If everyone assumes that "someone
else" who is translating will file the report for them, we will have
no reports filed, and probably no issues resolved either.

>  If reports got ignored too often, we must escalate more often. (But
>  normal bugs get ignored quite often too, I don't think that developers
>  see especially translations as less important.)
>
>  Creating a patch is mostly trivial, so I wonder whether adding the
>  gnome-love keyword would help us in getting more such patches from "code
>  beginners" that are willing to help improving gnome but search for a
>  place to start.

A patch always helps, but like you I don't think it's reasonable to
require that translators can create patches. If you can, it's great,
and go ahead and do it! If not, just formulate in words in the bug
report what message needs attention, and what you want it to be
changed into, or what a suitable translator comment could look like.
With a suitable keyword, perhaps someone else, who is able to create
patches, can then create a simple patch for it. But if the issue
wasn't reported to begin with, probably noone will ever write a patch
for it either.
So a patch is always a bonus, but should never be a requirement.

It's always better to have reported the issue, than not to have. A
patch shouldn't be necessary. If that's all you can do, just words in
the bug report will do!