Re: wrong translations of string "Rule" in gtkhtml

On 9/10/08, Александър Шопов <ash contact bg> wrote:
[...]
>  My opinion that it is an overkill to file a bug report for this. I would
>  prefer the first translator that finds out the meaning of the word to
>  add a comment to the source. The developer would notice immediately and
>  either leave the comment intact or fix it.

Noone ever got burned by writing a bug report in Bugzilla (at least
not that I know of), but I can say that people in the past *have* had
their SVN accounts suspended because of committing changes that were
not approved of by the module maintainer! Committing a change without
approval is a very serious thing, and not taken lightly by SVN admins.

If you commit anything to a module, you *must* have that module
maintainers advance approval for doing so. As a translator, your only
exception is the "po" subdirectory of the module... for anything else,
you must have advance approval!

Granted, some maintainers are very permissive, but then again, many
others are also very strict about permissions. Different maintainers
have (and are allowed to have) different commit policies for their
module.

Also, there is no trivial change that is always allowed... again, all
modules are different. I can think of very valid reasons why for
example even a change in a comment would not be allowed.

As a SVN user, you are expected to know that you are not allowed to
commit without module maintainer approval. As a translator you can
commit to the "po" directory without approval, but that's as far as
that special permission extends. If you abuse this, you risk having
your personal SVN account suspended.

Even worse, if several translators should abuse this and commit non-po
stuff without module maintainer approval, we risk having all the
maintainers loose their trust to translators. Then the next step would
be for them to request technical commit restrictions for translators,
so that then even translators who *have* asked in advance for
permission for their changes wouldn't be able to commit themselves. If
that horrible thing would happen, that would be a tragedy for the
whole GTP...

So please, never commit any non-po stuff without approval! Even if
it's a "trivial" thing!