Re: wrong translations of string "Rule" in gtkhtml

> Again, I don't understand why there hasn't been already a bug report
> about this.
Because it is a hassle to bother to file a bug report?

> More than 20 teams HAVE translated those files already, and nobody
> wondered about it or spend a second to think about the potential two
> translations of "rule"?
I thought when translating exactly these. But I suppose most of the
translation teams are way overworked and have to distribute their
resources. I personally am.

My opinion that it is an overkill to file a bug report for this. I would
prefer the first translator that finds out the meaning of the word to
add a comment to the source. The developer would notice immediately and
either leave the comment intact or fix it. Quite a lot of bugs in
Bugzilla rot and these trifle issues can be handled quite effectively
with the workflow I suggest.

If anybody is contemplating doing this, mind that some developers will not like this, but I suppose this is a cultural issue and programmers will realize that they would prefer somebody else to handle the fixing of such bugs.

> Other example: The string "Use" in another application - verb or noun?
> Why don't you file bugs?
And why did the developer not put the necessary comment? I suppose they do not bother too for this is a very non fun thing.

> There must be a bell automatically ringing when you see such strings
> that you try to translate.
Ditto for developers.

> Why isn't this happening? Aren't you
> interested in a good and correct localization of GNOME in your language?
Exactly because of that. Every time I go through Bugzilla I have to
decide whether it is worth the time and effort or should I just keep on
translating and produce a "good and correct localization of GNOME in my
language". This can sound egoistical but there are deadlines we have to
meet especially when there is a release.

> I'm really kind of frustrated about the small number of L10N reports in
> Bugzilla.
> File bugs with L10N/I18N keyword
I am not so sure you should be that frustrated. At least for the
Bulgarian team - we have an internal bug track -
http://fsa-bg.org/project/gtp where we handle these issues faster and
better than in GNOME Bugzilla. Every messages with translator-credits
has a point to the bug tracking system.

Andre, I do not think that filing individual bug reports is the best
solution for now. Initially we would need to point the most common cases
of mistakes (such as the verb/noun thingie you point out). Lets get
these fixed first and then treat the rest in Bugzilla.

Kind regards:
al_shopov