Re: wrong translations of string "Rule" in gtkhtml

Am Mittwoch, den 10.09.2008, 10:13 +0300 schrieb Александър Шопов:
> My opinion that it is an overkill to file a bug report for this. I would
> prefer the first translator that finds out the meaning of the word to
> add a comment to the source. The developer would notice immediately and
> either leave the comment intact or fix it. Quite a lot of bugs in
> Bugzilla rot and these trifle issues can be handled quite effectively
> with the workflow I suggest.

Just do it. I think there will be only very few developers that would
complain about somebody committing a simple "/* comment */" line to the
code (with a correct ChangeLog entry) without asking - IF that happens,
we should punish such developers in public. ;-)

> > Other example: The string "Use" in another application - verb or noun?
> > Why don't you file bugs?
> And why did the developer not put the necessary comment? I suppose
> they do not bother too for this is a very non fun thing.

Err... because I just filed the bug one day ago? If you don't file such
bugs developers will NEVER become more aware of such translation issues
and start to avoid them by adding a translator comment *directly* when
writing that code.
We expect developers to write bug-free code, to be UI experts, to have
accessibility and translations always in mind - but reality is
different, hence we complain to them and have a bug database.

> > There must be a bell automatically ringing when you see such strings
> > that you try to translate.
> Ditto for developers.

Yeah. So let's create that awareness.

> > Why isn't this happening? Aren't you
> > interested in a good and correct localization of GNOME in your language?
> Exactly because of that. Every time I go through Bugzilla I have to
> decide whether it is worth the time and effort or should I just keep on
> translating and produce a "good and correct localization of GNOME in my
> language". This can sound egoistical but there are deadlines we have to
> meet especially when there is a release.

I understand that, hence I especially want those teams that (in my
impression) have larger resources of translators to do this, not the
small teams of 2 or 4 people.
I especially have the Spanish and French team in mind because they've
been starting translating very early in the cycle, way before string
freeze took place.
Jorge, Claude - around?

andre
--