Licenses of .po files, and translations

Hi,
  I need a clarification on the licensing of .po files.
As per my understanding, both the .pot template files,
and the .po files for individual languages, assert
copyright, and licence restrictions, with the usual
licensing terms being the same as for the package itself.

  Thus, as I see it, for an application licensed under
the GPL, the .pot files, and the .po files are also
GPL-licensed. Therefore, the following requirements
ensue for a GPLed application:
(a) A distribution with local-language translations of
    the application is obliged to provide, upon request,
    copies of the source .po file for each language.
(b) Any modifications to existing .po file translations
    for any language also automatically fall under the
    GPL.
I would like to hear whether people agree with this.

Regards,
Gora