Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

To put in the information of somebody that has nothing to do with
gnome, but with brands a bit as part of my work for Firefox.

I expect your chances of getting the foot changed to be slim. I just
looked over planet.gnome.org, and it's full of foots. The recognition
and value of that logo are probably outweighing your problems by an
order of magnitude.

I didn't see a single post syndicated to planet that would raise wider
awareness of your thinking either.

I kinda miss a real description of the impact, too. Like, how many
users are you really talking about?

To give an example of where Firefox is hitting a brick wall in terms
of spreading the word. In Korea, nobody is using https to do safe web.
There's an architecture built upon active-x controls and IE instead,
due to export regulations in the past. So basically, using firefox in
Korea, you can't do online shopping or banking or nothing. And yet,
we're not shipping active-x.

In our global world, there's always a counter example for good
decisions, and in those regions, you have to work around it and try to
get as good as it gets. That might be lower than in the rest of the
world, it might make your evangelism efforts harder, but that's the
way it is.

In the end, I'd expect someone proposing a change like this to come up
with a much more analytical dataset, a few alternative approaches
(like a special theme like Petr suggested, for example), and a widely
open discussion. Then I'd expect a lot of heat, and finally a decision
made by a few brand csars.

Take this with a mountain of salt, I really don't know jack about how
the gnome project works. I just figured that giving you some preview
of the inertia to brand changes would be appropriate.

Axel