Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Petr Kovar <pmkovar gnome org> wrote:

> What about not using the foot logo, or introducing a new logo, if desirable,
> in Thai (and Lao, and perhaps some others) locale only? Would the logo
> change be sufficient solely as a part of your l10n processes?

I think it's better not to make it look like a fork. For example, without
appropriate communication, one may think it's like the Firefox/Iceweasel
rebranding case. It would be more seamless if people see the new logo
somewhere at GNOME site as a sign of acceptance so that the logo
can equally, or at least unofficially, represent GNOME, just like how
the Debian project has two versions of logos.

Then, we can add icon themes using the new logo, and let people
choose or even make appropriate defaults based on locale. This will
also allow people in other locales to choose the logo, although the foot
is no issue for them.

What do you think?

Regards,
--