Re: Does YOUR language have an entry in GDM?

Hi George,

George <jirka@5z.com> writes:

> Both sr_YU and sr_CS should be listed here so they both work.  Only the one
> that's set up will be shown, but the above should really still call sr_YU
> 'Serbian' instead of just 'sr_YU' which would happen with the above patch.

Isn't this only a code which is used to look up a translation in
locale.alias?  And if locale.alias contains that locale, it goes
through the list of all available (where there's sr_YU as well).

There's so much more wrong with sr_YU locale, that those users
experiencing a slowdown of 1ms is least of the concerns I have.

> Also the others need to then be fixed to do the search by first
> stripping the charset.  The charset is not important to the language name.
> I will fix this later, feel free to file a bug.  Basically the above needs
> to be then changed to sr_CS@Latn, but of course gdm needs to be fixed first.

Yes, this would require some changes in GDM, but that doesn't seem
possible for Gnome 2.6 (with all the freezes around :), so I'd rather
wait with that.

What I currently propose is a solution which doesn't require any
"logic" code changes, yet works exactly as desired (and as you
described).  If sr_CS* locales are not present, it tries sr_YU, based
on locale.alias fields which fallback on them.

I did actually test this, and I didn't see any problem with it (with
described behaviour of GNU libc setlocale(), which accepts things like
"en_US@something" using "en_US" locale), apart from an ugly part of
including charset in the code above.

Btw, release-team probably doesn't care about this discussion, so
I'll strip them off in the next round of messages, unless they
explicitely state that they are interested.

Cheers,
Danilo