Re: Does YOUR language have an entry in GDM?

Christian Rose <menthos@gnome.org> writes:

> OK, so I thought about us having new languages around this time, and
> that all of them perhaps don't have an entry in the GDM greeter, the
> GNOME login screen where users can select their preferred language
> before logging in.

I've got a problem related to this.

Serbian is listed as using locale "sr_YU".  On most systems, this
means that people will get incorrect locales (because locales in GNU
libc are incorrect).  Also, this is a locale in Latin alphabet,
whereas we (all translation efforts that I'm aware of, including TP,
Gnome, KDE) [and constitution as well :] consider Cyrillic the
official alphabet.

There's another problem with Serbian Latin missing, and since I'm
about to start adding Serbian "ijekavski" translations I recently
received, I'd also need "Serbian, ijekavski" (though, it might not be
needed until at least 2.6.1, though, there's still a month to go for 2.6.0).

I have prepared fixed up locales for GNU libc, and I generally
suggest *everyone* using Gnome to use them for Serbian, if they want
to get "sr@Latn" translation, or to have correct date & time
formatting, week start, etc.

I'll also prepare separate locales for sr@ije (it uses somewhat
different names of the days in the week) -- please comment on this
locale code selection before I get a dozen of translations in. :)

But, the question I've got here is what's the best thing to do.

Should I add all these to GDM, and ask of users separately to install
proper locales, at least until they get integrated into GNU libc?

I think that's the way to go, since it's a choice between "doesn't
work for anyone", and "works at least for those who install separate
locales".

Any comments?

Cheers,
Danilo