Re: Does YOUR language have an entry in GDM?

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:53:48PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> I think the reasoning should be the opposite -- if it doesn't work yet
> unless you install these corrected locales manually, it shouldn't be
> listed in GDM either. The people who can manually install new locales on
> their system on their own can probably also set the appropriate
> evironment variables themselves to run it, or if necessary add the
> appropriate patch themselves to their GDM copy to get the language in
> the menu for their users.
> But we shouldn't from the gnome.org side put stuff as options in menus
> that we know won't work in the general case with many major stock
> distributions. Having stuff that doesn't work shown as sensitive options
> is just inherently bad UI design.

GDM will test to see if it can actually set the locale before listing it.  So
if it's missing from the libc files then it won't show it no matter what's in
the config files.  The locale.alias files lists locales to TRY, and the
languages in gdmlanguages.c are just translations to use, they're not the
full list that will be used, they're just built in localized names and
categorization of the languages just in case they are in fact installed.
So we could add everything that is at all possible to the GDM setup.

On that note, feel free to commit additions to both locale.alias and
gdmlanguages.c that add your favourite languages.

Though obviously it would make sense to only add languages that will be in
libc and installed on users systems eventually.

George

--
George <jirka@5z.com>
   Man will occasionally stumble over the truth,