Re: terminology & translator management

sreda, 02. jul 2003. 19:29:15 CEST — pclouds napisa:
> Sounds interesting! But i don't know Serbian, i can't understand
> anything in prevod.org :( Could you give me the link to download?

Unfortunately, I have not prepared it yet for outside use. I can tar it
up and send it over, but it won't be of much use, I guess. If you've
got a web host, I'd be delighted to tailor it to your needs as much as
I can and have time to (it uses PHP, MySQL, and mod_rewrite, so that's
all you need).

Like any other similar project, it needs much thought before it can be
considered "production quality". If you would go on with it, you'd
definitely want to change a few things as to suit you better, so some
knowledge of PHP (btw, very ugly PHP code like I have a tendency to
write -- if only every host offered Python :-) would be essential.

The bad side of it is that I have written comments in the code in
Serbian, so even code would be hard to extend and understand :-(

There are also quite a few bits hard-coded, so it's not really easy to
set up. (And there's some bad programming practice, but it was done ad-
hoc in one-weeks time, if that's acceptable as an excuse :-).

Still, my post was mainly an answer to Vincent's post about his system,
and the idea of working on a generic "translators' coordination
software".

And, the software that runs "prevod.org" is just a prototype: now, I'm
richer in experience of what are the real problems of translators, and
what this kind of site should do to help both them and myself (as a
coordinator).

There are some essential features still missing: automatic
synchronization of files and update of site statistics based on Carlos'
periodic status pages (I already provide a link to that way generated .
POT file, now I just need to take it over, and use it), or, if enough
space is available, keeping entire Gnome CVS alongside, and creating a
POT file with which to synchronize with (but, this is what status pages
are already doing, so why double that work?), some coordination issues
(eg. an administrative page for setting maintainers of a package) etc.

I'm really sorry I cannot be of greater and more practical help :-(

Cheers,
Danilo