Re: terminology & translator management

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 12:19:23PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> > I would like to have a
> > place for translators to discuss about terms and use only one of them.
> > Is there a program to do that?
>
> I think the translation teams' own mailing lists are commonly used for
> such discussions. That's at least the case for Swedish, and I know it's
> true for some other teams too.
> When there is a consensus in the discussion, the resulting
> recommendation is then put up on a glossary that we have on our web page
> for the Swedish team.

Beside gnome-dependent terms, there are many Linux terms (and general
computer terms), which need to be translated. For example, "File" is
currently translated to "Tap tin" or "Tep" in Vietnamese. Different
teams (mainly KDE and GNOME team) translate in different
ways. Gnome-dependent terms can be discussed on our mailing list, but
other terms should be discussed on another place, where more people
can give an advice, not only translators. Such place should rather be
a web site than a list, it is like a discussion board.

We discussed about some terms in the past. People didn't find out the
best solution, then stopped discussing. People continued
translating. Then someone asked about the terms. We started again,
like the former, and finally stopped without luck. I think we need a
system to make a conclusion about what we discussed before. It is
better than search entire mailing lists.

How do your team cooperate with other teams (e.g. KDE team)?

--
Bi Cờ Lao