Re: terminology & translator management

sreda, 2. jul 2003. 16:21:09 CEST — Vincent van Adrighem napisa:
> These things have been tailored to my own needs, so it won't work for
> anyone else unless you change some of the hardcoded variables (like
> language, encoding and paths. Just go and take a look at the website
> and if you're interested and want to do something with it...just say
> it. I'm willing to help out in making it more general. Maybe we could
> even make something like a generig language-translation-coordinator
> scriptspack or something. Just thinking out loud here :-)

I have built quite similar web site for Serbian translation project.
There are some differences in practical details.

The basic organization is this:
- Everyone can register to become a "translator"

- Every translators gets his own page at "/osobe/<translator-id>" --
this is where they check what translations they have done so far,
change their password or e-mail address, and perform actions on the
programs they are translating at the moment and see when their
translations are "due". Available actions on any ongoing translation
are "give up", "finish" (upload .PO file).

- There's a page which lists available categories of programs for
translation at /programi/gnome/2.4/ -- you can choose all the basic
categories which are also found at dev.g.org/p/gtp/status/g24. When you
choose a category, there're again some available actions "take the job
over". If you're a "maintainer" for a translation, you can "approve" or
"deny" the submitted translation by someone (maintainers are assigned
on FCFS algorithm -- who translates it first, should maintain it :-).

- When you take over the job of translation, you get a deadline for
submission (eg. 7 days for new translators, or 17 days for translators
who have already translated something). When you submit a translation,
a mail is sent out to maintainer (and if he approves it to the mailing
list). Also, the same notification is sent out to me (the only member
of a team with CVS access), so I just follow the "cvs up; intltool-
update sr; emacsclient Changelog; cvs ci" route :-)

- There's also a "open dictionary" at the same site at /recnik/ which
allows anyone to add a proposition for translation, and vote for a
favourite. There's an option for administrators to mark certain
translations as "recommended", and therefore instruct translators to
use them.

As I have finished with exams for a while, I'd be more than willing to
cooperate on making best of yours, mine, and anyone elses approach on
this.

Sounds interesting? If so, check it out at http://www.prevod.org/
(unfortunately, I still haven't translated it into english, but will do
so soon -- all [well, most, because I got lazy sometimes] strings are
in separate file, so it should be mostly localizeable).

Cheers,
Danilo

PS. I like your motto on the site (I'll paraphrase): "Gnome 100%
Serbian" -- and with three months of work, we're getting pretty close
:-)