Re: terminology & translator management

Op wo 02-07-2003, om 12:00 schreef pclouds:
> Hi,
>
> I am the coordinator of Vietnamese Team. I assign PO files to
> translators, then get the translations back to commit it. It is
> difficult to remember which file is assigned to which translator. I
> also want to send a mail to the translators periodically, asking them
> to report the translating progress.
> I have to do all those myself so far. So it would be great to know if
> someone have written a program for those tasks.
Hi,

I guess I have sort of a solution for your problem. I've been the
coordinator for the dutch team for almost two years now, and back in the
ol' days (a few months before G2.0) I got swarmed by translators after a
posting on a website. So I've been building a website for our
translation effort. It has it's own statuspages, a list of assigned
translators (just move your mouse over the name of the translator),
graphs which represent the translation progress, etc... Also, I've made
a few scripts which use this information to inform the translator on
their status and put that in a weekly cronjob. The script automatically
adjusts the content of the email according to the translation status and
attaches any non-100%-translated po-files that have been assigned to the
translator (compressed of course). I've attached such a message as an
example (well, it's actually a reaction to a statusmessage, but you get
the point). The interestig part is the last part.

These things have been tailored to my own needs, so it won't work for
anyone else unless you change some of the hardcoded variables (like
language, encoding and paths. Just go and take a look at the website and
if you're interested and want to do something with it...just say it. I'm
willing to help out in making it more general. Maybe we could even make
something like a generig language-translation-coordinator scriptspack or
something. Just thinking out loud here :-)

Anyway, the website is at gnome-nl.sf.net.

Kind regards,
Vincent van Adrighem

P.S. If you can't read the words, just click on the flag in the
top-right corner.
--
Gpg-key: http://pki.surfnet.nl KeyID=0x06BAB003
Help mee met het vertalen van GNOME. Kijk op http://gnome-nl.sf.net/