Re: Script for extracting translators' names (was Re: notice of imminent Rhythmbox release && translation credits)

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 08:43:32AM +0800, Abel Cheung wrote:
> > I have seen slightly erroneous release notes where people have
> > used the name of the person who committed it without looking to
> > see whether what they committed was theirs or someone else's,
> > so I think this is worth mentioning.
> Agreed. That means CVS changelog and ChangeLog file are not trustworthy;
> and as I pointed out above, translator_credits is also not a good place
> to look at (not to mention that some software doesn't have
> translator_credits at all). Now only "Last-Translator" fields remains as
> a candidate for extracting name, which is pretty failsafe because every
> PO file has that field. Isn't it?

No, the ChangeLogs *should* be trustworthy. What telsa is saying is that
package maintainers should keep an eye on

2003-08-10  Joe Smith <smith@joe.name>

	* Updated foo translation by Bar Doe.

entries, as sometimes, by mistake, Joe is creditted, instead of Bar.

Sometimes I commit a po file from a team mate, which had been working on
the po file for a while, and when I do, the file might be a bit out of
date. Last-Translator points at the other translator. The day after, I
update the remaining stuff, and change Last-Translator to myself. Two
different translators, only I was creditted, but the big work was done
by someone else.

Jordi
jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/
GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/~jordi/