Re: UTF8 encoding for all .po files

El mié, 24-04-2002 a las 22:37, Karl Eichwalder escribió:
> "R.I.P. Deaddog" <maddog@deaddog.org> writes:
>
> > Problem is, people who installed gettext 0.11.x is minority -- even
> > less than those who have glibc >= 2.1.
>
> Only package maintainers will have to install it (those who generate the
> .mo files distributed with the .tar.gz/.tar.bz2 archives).
>
> Sorry for the confusion: you will not have to convert the PO/MO files at
> installation time but at packaging time.

I think it was my fault, sorry.

The main problem is... How should you test it? (I don't know if it's
possible or not with automake/autoconf) I mean, the autogen.sh script
should check that the mantainer has gettext >= 0.11 but the configure.in
check for gettext should look for any gettext...

I don't know if it's more easy than recode a file into your own locale,
edit the file and then reencode it as UTF8 and commit it.

I think that we should ask at gnome-hackers for the mantainers point of
view...

One thing is true, we should FIX it before GNOME 2.0 release. It's a
really critical bug for any user with a glibc < 2.2 (RedHat < 6.2,
debian potato, and I think, any system without glibc and gettext < 0.11)

Cheers.