Re: UTF8 encoding for all .po files

El mié, 24-04-2002 a las 16:02, Keld Jørn Simonsen escribió:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 05:47:42PM +0200, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> > ons, 2002-04-24 kl. 15:34 skrev Keld Jørn Simonsen:

> > > I think it would create some problems. I have experienced
> > > quite a lot of problems with utf-8 files, because they
> > > are not adhered to. That is, many make modifications
> > > to utf-8 files in another charset, eg iso-8859-1.
> > > And then one has to remedy these errors. I have lost
> > > quite some hours on that account.
> > >

> > I was skeptical to begin with too, but after upgrading to emacs-21 which
> > supports UTF-8 in po-mode I've never looked back. :)
> >
> > The only time I've had problems when editing files with non-UTF8 aware
> > editors is while editing actual 8-bit chars, which makes it loose the
> > encoding.
>
> I am not going to change to emacs. And I am not just talking about
> myself, but we are about 10 people doing translations to
> danish and some are not so experienced. Shifting from iso-8859-1
> will not go on without errors here.
>
> And there is no need to shift to utf-8, as gettext can treat
> all other encodings automatically with conversion to utf-8
> if neccessary.

As we told some time ago, this only happens with the new glibc versions,
all RedHat 6.2, Debian Potato and systems like those ones does NOT
handle the gettext catalog this way so you need that they use UTF8
encoded catalogs. I don't know if it happens also with systems without
glibc (Solaris, FreeBSD, and others)

If you want to do the encoding at compile time, please, show me a clean
way to do it and It will be perfect for me, but we should add it to all
modules now.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
mailto:carlos@gnome-db.org

Esta parte del mensaje esta firmada digitalmente