Re: UTF8 encoding for all .po files
- From: Keld Jřrn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk>
- To: Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos gnome-db org>
- Cc: GNOME i18n list <gnome-i18n gnome org>
- Subject: Re: UTF8 encoding for all .po files
- Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:34:28 +0200
On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:13:51PM +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> Hi I'm thinking on recode all GNOME2's .po files into UTF8 before the
> release. Some teams are not working on translations and then those
> translations could cause problems on old systems (as old as a Debian
> Potato or RedHat 6.2).
> What do you think?
> Could I reencode all those files and commit them to cvs.gnome.org?
I think it would create some problems. I have experienced
quite a lot of problems with utf-8 files, because they
are not adhered to. That is, many make modifications
to utf-8 files in another charset, eg iso-8859-1.
And then one has to remedy these errors. I have lost
quite some hours on that account.
It has been discussed before and the conclusion
was also then to not do it.
] [Thread Prev