Re: Splash screens (Re: Arlo, a little QA...)

mtgordon helixcode com (2000-10-26 at 0230.04 +0500):
> > Another thing that should be desirable (but not a must) is splash
> > configuration. Why can I change my background and not the splash
> > screens? And yes, I know I can recompile or change a file somewhere,
> > but I would not call that nice (specially if I have no root account).
> I like this idea, though it needs to be done case-by-case.

That is the reason I said optional. If coders want, the can add it to
prefferences, the same way browsers allow to load a page just after
starting (but will keep on working without doing so).

> > After all, many will point that splash screens disturb and make things
> > slower, when you want to keep working in other things.
> Sometimes when launching things that are slow to come up I'm tempted to do something else, and the splash screens can get in the way.  OTOH, when apps that lack splash screens launch unsuccessfully, I sometimes need to resort to ps to see whether they're running.

I guess that what is really needed in that cases is a non obstrusive
way. Clocks and other small windows are... who said something about a
trick that make appear a fake entry in the task list? It sounded
informative but non obstrusive too.

GSR