Re: Splash screens (Re: Arlo, a little QA...)

GSR wrote:

> But as GNOME is about better computer use, your idea of a global
> "splash screen default" toggle, IMHO, should be taken into account...
> and coded. To be precisse, apps should have both options (--no-splash
> and --splash) for cmd line (and launcher) invocation, and follow the
> global default every user chooses.

This sounds quite reasonable.

> Another thing that should be desirable (but not a must) is splash
> configuration. Why can I change my background and not the splash
> screens? And yes, I know I can recompile or change a file somewhere,
> but I would not call that nice (specially if I have no root account).

I like this idea, though it needs to be done case-by-case.

> After all, many will point that splash screens disturb and make things
> slower, when you want to keep working in other things.

Sometimes when launching things that are slow to come up I'm tempted to do something else, and the splash screens can get in the way.  OTOH, when apps that lack splash screens launch unsuccessfully, I sometimes need to resort to ps to see whether they're running.

-Mark Gordon