Re: contribution to GTG project and GOPW

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 08:26, Bertrand Rousseau <bertrand rousseau gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Radina Matic <radina matic gmail com> wrote:
> Thanks, Bertrand, it was actually great fun working on this and I am
> starting to like Mallard a lot!
>
> You have a point with PPA comment... I believe it is worth including in the
> docs, but maybe placing the whole PPA topic somewhere towards the end of
> help file would be a better solution. Actually, there is a warning note
> about the instability and bug issues when installing the development release
> that I copied from Launchpad, but you are right, I should add the advice to
> backup the data prior to this kind of operation.

Ok, placing it near the end is better. Maybe even better to put in
some "GTG for advanced users" section if you have any of those.

Reading my mind, are you? :))))

Check the changes in the shared Google Doc with topic outline, I've added a new section for Advanced Users of GTG which now contains, apart from the Installation of Daily PPA, two Izidor's ideas for creating personal backends and plugins...

> Now that I think of it, do you believe that we should include a general
> chapter about backup process? I didn't think of it before, does GTG have a
> backup option? How is the user supposed to approach it?

No, we don't have an explcit backup option (hmm, interesting. Plugin,
anyone?). The data is stored in .local/share/gtg or
$XDG_DATA_HOME/share/gtg if it is set.

The user data is replicated in this folder so that if GTG crashes,
there are backuped copies available. To backup/archive GTG data, the
use should backup this folder, and .config/gtg or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gtg

Ok, will be included in the Backup your GTG Data topic, at least until somebody comes up with a plugin... ;)

Cheers,
R.

--
Bertrand Rousseau