Re: gnome-db 0.2.0 installed, but...

> Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>
> > well, I must be kind to the gnome-db users. And you're one, so...
>
> Regular businessman there aren't you...I can see you now, writing such
> kind and helpful emails whilst grumbling about idiot users who don't
> know how to set up their bleeding edge software and would be better off
> flying a kite, etc... :)

no, really, it's very constructive to receive good criticism, and, even
better, bug reports or suggestions about how the apps shoudl work. And no,
I'm not a businessman and I don't get a dollar for working on gnome-db, so
I just do it for pleasure.

> > well, it's more beta than pre-alpha. This crash should not happen. Can you
> > reproduce it and tell me what you do before the crash?
>
> Easy. It's actually very consistent. First I open the Gnome-DB frontend
> from the Gnome-menu. I end up with a window with File, Edit, Options,
> Help on the Menu-bar, 5 buttons on the Button-bar, 5 buttons on the
> vertical Button-window, a blank Drop-down menu under the Horizontal
> Button-bar and a blank window. I click on the Manager button, select my
> MySQL configuration, click on the Database button, and click connect. It
> pops up a connect dialog window, I type in my user-name and connect up.
> The SQL window appears on the main app. I can for the most part just
> input sql commands (after I realized that I didn't need to put the ; at
> the end :), but I like to see the database in tree form, so I click on
> Browser and it pops up a list of my tables. Here's where it gets
> squirrely - I can select a table and see it's structure in the right
> window.  But when I click on the data icon - Oh fart - it's working now.
> Huh? Okay, it's not crashing now. Ah Hah - there we go. I clicked on a
> few tables and viewed their contents and finally an error comes up:
> Application gnomedb-components (gives process number) has crashed due to
> fatal error. Segmentation fault. Hee hee - I'm not crazy after all.
> Okay, so this time I had to play with it a bit to get it to crash -
> Mozilla'd have been easier to crash in this case. :) Now all the buttons
> in the vertical button bar are functional but the Database one - well it
> shows the correct set of buttons, but connect doesn't work. If I shut
> the program down and restart it, it'll work again.
>
> Update - after much repeated testing, I noticed that the crashes occured
> when accessing one of the tables. It was a simple test table I had
> created eons ago, really a nothing table with three columns. I deleted
> that table and everything else seems to work fine. Strange. Well, sorry
> for the long winded diatribe.

hmm, so maybe there's something weird on that table that GDA does not
manage well. Can you send me the strcuture of that table, with data types,
lengths, etc?

> Now, to figure out how to use the GDA
> library in a "real" application. I'd like to get the rolodex working -
> how far have you gotten on that? I'd like to see an example of an actual
> everyday program using the GDA as it's datasource...

on the gnome-db module, the rolodex app is empty. You'd better have a look
at the old one (module gnome-db-old in CVS) where it's more complete. But it
may be outdated, so it's better if you look at the
gnome-db/components/gnomedb-com-connection.c file, which is the implementation
of the Database component crashing on your system (well what crashes seems to
be the gnome-db-browser widget, which is in gnome-db/lib/gnome-db-browser.[ch]).
It is mixed with some Bonobo
code, but if you search for the gda_* functions, you'll see good examples
of use.