Re: gnome-db 0.1.0

Hi Michael!

I already answered to this mail, but as I haven't seen my answer in the
archives, I suppose
you didn't get it due to my recent mail problems. So here it is again

> I finally got gnome-db compiled after running in circles trying to get
> gnome-db and bonobo 0.28 to be friendly with gtkhtml and finally
> backtracking to bonobo 0.18 and gtkhtml 0.6 just get get gnome-db up
and
> running.

sorry for making you suffer so much! But you may want to test the
yesterday-released
RPMs for gnome-db-0.2.0, which should work perfectly well with
bonobo-0.28. Well, in fact,
it needs bonobo >= 0.28 to work.

> Is it safe to assume that there's not much functionality
> currently in the frontend?

it's missing functionality, but for a basic data access app, it's quite
good. This is because
we started a rewrite of the GNOME part some time ago, and we're still in
that phase. But you've
got a way to execute SQL commands, to see (some parts) of the database
structure (tables, views,
etc), you can configure all the environment, etc, etc. So, it's basic,
but quite complete.

> Is the backend mature enough to write a test
> app against? I need to be able to get a gnome app to connect to a db
> (postgres in this case, mysql later hopefully) and do basic db things
> like select, insert, delete, etc... Just how much trouble is that
going
> to be with gnome-db, or more accurately - with gda? Be aware that most
> of my database experience draws from PHP development so I'm a bit
> spoiled...

the backend (called libgda) is the most complete part of the
architecture, so you can safely
use it for what you want. You can, for a quick start, look at the files
in the libgda/testing
directory, where you'll see simple examples. For a more complete use,
you'll ahve to look
at the GNOME part, specially the gnome-db/lib and gnome-db/components
directories.