Re: gnome-db 0.2.0 installed, but...

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> well, I must be kind to the gnome-db users. And you're one, so...

Regular businessman there aren't you...I can see you now, writing such
kind and helpful emails whilst grumbling about idiot users who don't
know how to set up their bleeding edge software and would be better off
flying a kite, etc... :)

> well, it's more beta than pre-alpha. This crash should not happen. Can you
> reproduce it and tell me what you do before the crash?

Easy. It's actually very consistent. First I open the Gnome-DB frontend
from the Gnome-menu. I end up with a window with File, Edit, Options,
Help on the Menu-bar, 5 buttons on the Button-bar, 5 buttons on the
vertical Button-window, a blank Drop-down menu under the Horizontal
Button-bar and a blank window. I click on the Manager button, select my
MySQL configuration, click on the Database button, and click connect. It
pops up a connect dialog window, I type in my user-name and connect up.
The SQL window appears on the main app. I can for the most part just
input sql commands (after I realized that I didn't need to put the ; at
the end :), but I like to see the database in tree form, so I click on
Browser and it pops up a list of my tables. Here's where it gets
squirrely - I can select a table and see it's structure in the right
window.  But when I click on the data icon - Oh fart - it's working now.
Huh? Okay, it's not crashing now. Ah Hah - there we go. I clicked on a
few tables and viewed their contents and finally an error comes up:
Application gnomedb-components (gives process number) has crashed due to
fatal error. Segmentation fault. Hee hee - I'm not crazy after all.
Okay, so this time I had to play with it a bit to get it to crash -
Mozilla'd have been easier to crash in this case. :) Now all the buttons
in the vertical button bar are functional but the Database one - well it
shows the correct set of buttons, but connect doesn't work. If I shut
the program down and restart it, it'll work again.

Update - after much repeated testing, I noticed that the crashes occured
when accessing one of the tables. It was a simple test table I had
created eons ago, really a nothing table with three columns. I deleted
that table and everything else seems to work fine. Strange. Well, sorry
for the long winded diatribe. Now, to figure out how to use the GDA
library in a "real" application. I'd like to get the rolodex working -
how far have you gotten on that? I'd like to see an example of an actual
everyday program using the GDA as it's datasource...

Mike