[Gimp-user] Framing Pictures

I would like to add "frames" to some of the graphics I'm using on a website. The frame I want is really just a white border of 8 or 10 pixels on each of the four sides; the pictures will all be rectangles.

I tried doing a frame like this in Gimp 2.8 (in Windows 8) earlier today and couldn't think of a way to do this very easily. I thought about drawing a white line along the edge of each side of the rectangle but didn't know a good way to draw a straight line of the desired thickness exactly where I want it. I thought about using the eraser to turn the edges white but that seemed clumsy.

I'm guessing there is a much simpler way so I hope someone can tell me what it is. :)

--
Reinhardt