Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Jay Smith wrote:

IMHO, the "loss of data" situation that the developers were trying to
prevent with this change was not serious problem for the Gimp target user
group (advanced users).  I doubt those advanced users were having a problem
before this change.  I suspect that the people who were having the problem
is the very group that are still going to have a problem in the use case you
described.

Jay,

Since you are talking about IMHOs, I consider myself an advanced user.
In a number of cases I already benefitted from the save/export
separation, because it forced me to save XCF which I thought I
probably didn't need and then ended up needing it to avoid redoing
some layer compositions from scratch.

I also have compositions that I will probably never recover in a
multilayered version, because I thought I knew better, and I was
wrong.

The developers jumped on me like I had five horns growing out of my head.

Nobody really jumps on people round here. Besides, folks with five
horns growing out of their heads have very few chances to be human,
have they not? :)

In any case, it has been said very clearly many times that this change to
Gimp is permanent and that no amount of complaining and no amount of other
use cases or other logic will change anything.  I understand what the
developers mean by saying that, but it makes it sound like they will not
ever consider thinking about a mechanism that satisfies both groups.
Blocking out the possibility of thinking about hard problems is sad.

Jay, we are thinking about hard problems all the time. Whether you
accept the results is an entirely different question.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org