[Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Anoko wrote:

The explanation page says "In other words, GIMP used to assume
that you don't mind accidental loss of unrecoverable project data and
bothered you with confirmation dialogs. It was a convoluted logic,
but people got used to it."

I do not see why this is solved.

Yes, you don't see it :)

I understand that you are bored of the discussion, but by suggesting that it is my problem alone of seeing it
wrong, I think that's a bit insulting and really unnecessary. I was at least trying to be constructive. I
suspect though that you have misunderstood my use case.

User: lets say he wants so save image with transparance as jpg, clicks save
Gimp: you have to use export
User: Export to jpg
Gimp: ok! (no message that transparance got lost)
User: click exit
Gimp: Sure? not saved!
User: uh, I just exported it, oh yeah right exporting is not saving. But it's exported, so my changes are
safe. Agree!
Transparancy lost. This is something I already encountered once, so it is a realistic use case (whether it is
a probable is something else, but whether the previous "problem" was much larger is to be seen as well).

Since in the "old" workflow, everyone who used to use "save" for exporting to png/jpg etc., will with some
annoyance now use export, but no longer get "flatten layers?" messages, and he/she has to remember that
indeed "unsaved changes" are unrelated to exporting.

Since such people will always get a "you have unsaved changes" message when exitting the GIMP, this message
becomes useless for this workflow. Thus, the only way to use GIMP without major annoyance, is to follow the
forced xcf route.

--
Anoko (via gimpusers.com)