Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:23:49 +0200
> From: forums gimpusers com
> To: gimp-user-list gnome org
> CC: team gimpusers com
> Subject: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior
>
> Well habbits or not, I still wonder why it is explicitly disallowed to save as something other than xcf. As I said, allowing that+keeping the
> export option makes all users happy. Now, a way that apparently some part of the users like and some don't is forced to all, while it is
> not necessary to force it.

Translation:  Why the existing message can/may not be converted into an "Export/Cancel" prompt, which would be a have-cake-eat-it-too solution.  That the developers insist the cake being a lie is ... mystifying, to say the least.

> ... I don't use GIMP often enough to get used to learn the fact that it's the only program I have where CTRL+S does not save,
> but rather wants me to make a temporary projectfile.
>
> --
> Anoko (via gimpusers.com)

In my experience, I only have a few such programs:  GIMP 2.8, Visual Studio, and FontForge.  Visual Studio, being a win32 program compiler, is pretty obvious:  "Save" saves the project source code, and "Compile" writes the finished executable.  FontForge's documentation makes clear that real font files are extremely optimized for small file sizes and don't include a lot of helpful metadata that is saved with your project (.sfd) file; the "Generate Fonts" command is what writes actual font files.

In my experience I've also personally written a program used to design mods for one specific game, where the "Save" command stored a project file and a separate "Compile..." command packaged it into the actual mod file.  (Coincidentally, all three of these share another thing in common:  Needing to perform a validation/error check before compiling the file.)

By contrast, GIMP is the only program I use where the majority of my work involves outputting to a standard file format, and I've only used XCF for situations where other formats simply cannot handle it (i.e. multilayer arrangements).

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com