Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Anoko wrote:

However, I do not understand why no one discusses a compromise
that does neither enforce nor burden exporting.

The secondary workflow _is_ the compromise.

Are the developers really willing to give up a "part" of their users for
something which I think can be compromised in a way both sides
are happy??

Implementing behavior options _isn't_ a compromise, it's just another
way of crippling user experience.

The explanation page says "In other words, GIMP used to assume
that you don't mind accidental loss of unrecoverable project data and
bothered you with confirmation dialogs. It was a convoluted logic,
but people got used to it."

I do not see why this is solved.

Yes, you don't see it :)

Someone who is not familair with GIMP, that wants to store something
as a png file, clicks save, finds it needs to export, clicks export and has
lost their layered data nevertheless, now basically without a warning
saying layers got lost.

Absolutely not. No one loses anything until confirming that by closing
the project without saving as XCF.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org