Re: [Gimp-developer] wtf with the download?

On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 22:04 +0100, C R wrote:
I'd be ok with having two links labeled "Download GIMP 2.8.14 via
HTTP" and "Download GIMP 2.8.14 via Bittorrent" right above each
other, in any order. This should also help to reduce the
explanation for Bittorrent to one short paragraph

To make this a bit more obvious, I'm imagining something like this
instead of the current few lines:

How about this?
http://opendesignstudio.org/gimp/samples/gimp_windows_download_buttons2.png

Close. I'd still put the Bittorrent one first with text like

Get GIMP for Windows using Bittorrent. Fastest download. Least load on
the GIMP servers. Requires a bittorrent client. Learn more...

Get GIMP for Windows over the Web with HTTP. Slower but no special
program is needed.

Note, I'm repeating "GIMP for Windows" to minimize doubt.

I'd remove the first two paragraphs, or put them after the two big
download buttons and their associated text.

There should also be a rounded-rectangle, "Download GIMP Manual";
ideally it'd be the English manual on the en page, the French manual
on the French-language page, and so on, with the others all still
listed.

Liam

I'm not really a fan of any images and/or icons being used for
either.
though.

I have removed the icons in the above link. If necessary, I can also
do the
button graphics using just HTML and css.

If that is µTorrent, then this one is proprietary. If we are linking
specific ones instead of the whole list, we should aim to only
link to Free Software clients, that do not have strange ideas
about what to include in their installers (and preferably not
being hosted by SourceForge).

I'm open to suggestions. I am not a windows torrent user, so I don't
really
have any good feedback in this respect.
I think as long as the HTTP link is first, it will solve most of the
issues
anyway. If linking to the Wikipedia page is enough to satisfy, I'm
fine with it (orange "learn more" link at the end of the
description).

It's all just suggestions anyway, so I don't think listing the
most
popular
one is necessarily endorsement of one over another.

I could put "Works with all known variations of Windows from
Windows XP (SP3) to Windows 8.1 with the exception of Windows RT"
I find it funny that people would take time to ask and not just
try it though...

They might not be able to test it for themselves.

I have added a link to expand out the full compatibility list. This
way the
info is there for those few who can not test it themselves, and is
out of
the way for people to find what they are looking for quickly.

There still seem to be a considerable number of people running
XP SP2.
Not being able to run GIMP might be a wakeup call for some of
them, yet this whole change is done to avoid a different
wakeup call, so maybe you might want to reconsider...?

Reconsider what? The whole thing

Reconsider the wording of the Windows version compatibility.

Do you think the afore-mentioned expanding list idea will be
adequate? My thoughts: most people are going to be quite happy to
click the thing that looks like an orange download button, and go
enjoy themselves some GIMP goodness. :)

Thanks for the help, and happy Friday!

-PS: I'm happy to offer up source graphics files for anyone who
wants to
help tinker. They are presently .svg vector Inkscape files, but I
can output some layered .xcf files as well if people want to GIMP
them a bit.

-C