Re: [Gimp-developer] wtf with the download?

First try:
http://opendesignstudio.org/gimp/samples/gimp_windows_download_buttons.png

I think it's a worthy thing to give users the option to torrent the files.
If we are going to properly do that, let's make sure they don't have to go
searching across the web for what they need, and be up-front about why it's
better for them and the community to torrent. The above is based on these
assumptions:

1. The average user is on the downloads page for the quick-fix and are not
going to torrent things anyway (even if they knew what it was). It's too
much overhead, and at this point they are only curious about GIMP. If they
miss the second link (6 out of 7 of the friends/co-workers I asked about it
missed it entirely, and all 7 of them downloaded the .torrent file and
looked at me as if I were trying to trick them or something.

2. We want everyone to try out GIMP, even unmotivated people, so let's give
them a shot at it by giving them the link exactly where they would expect
it: The first link button on the right-hand side.

3. Some users will not mind using a torrent client if it helps the
community. We provide the second link for them, on the same level as the
first link, with an article immediately following to explain what it is,
why it helps, and how to do it safely. Also explaining the benefits of
torrenting in-general shows them, it's not just a one-time "bundleware"
thing: it's a valuable tool for everyone.

Note that I have removed all the "known to work with" information, because
the only known non-working versions are for Windows RT and Windows packages
so old it's a crime against the user to be using them in the first place.

I did this based on these assumptions:

1. If the user does not see their version of windows in the list, they will
probably download it anyway to try it out. - These users did not need the
list.
2.  If the user does see their version in the list, it makes no difference
to the fact that they are there to download the file, and could have saved
time looking through the list in the first place, just hitting the download
button (or spent the time reading up on bit torrent) ;) - These users do
not need the list.
3. If the user is running Windows 98 or older, it would be so rare as not
even to be worth mentioning. Hard drives have a shelf life of 4-8 years,
they would have had to reinstall win98 manually over and over and over.
They may as well be using Linux. - These users need linux, not the list
4. Less is more. If we can exclude half a page of information, let's do it,
and save everyone time.

I have thus replaced the list with an additional sentence at the end of the
intro text on the page that says "Works with all known versions of Windows
except Windows RT".

Thoughts?