Re: [Gimp-developer] wtf with the download?

I'd be ok with having two links labeled "Download GIMP 2.8.14 via HTTP"
and "Download GIMP 2.8.14 via Bittorrent" right above each other, in any
order. This should also help to reduce the explanation for Bittorrent to
one short paragraph

To make this a bit more obvious, I'm imagining something like this
instead of the current few lines:

How about this?
http://opendesignstudio.org/gimp/samples/gimp_windows_download_buttons2.png

I'm not really a fan of any images and/or icons being used for either.
though.

I have removed the icons in the above link. If necessary, I can also do the
button graphics using just HTML and css.

If that is µTorrent, then this one is proprietary. If we are linking
specific ones instead of the whole list, we should aim to only link to
Free Software clients, that do not have strange ideas about what to
include in their installers (and preferably not being hosted by
SourceForge).

I'm open to suggestions. I am not a windows torrent user, so I don't really
have any good feedback in this respect.
I think as long as the HTTP link is first, it will solve most of the issues
anyway. If linking to the Wikipedia page is enough to satisfy, I'm fine
with it (orange "learn more" link at the end of the description).

It's all just suggestions anyway, so I don't think listing the most
popular
one is necessarily endorsement of one over another.

I could put "Works with all known variations of Windows from Windows XP
(SP3) to Windows 8.1 with the exception of Windows RT"
I find it funny that people would take time to ask and not just try it
though...

They might not be able to test it for themselves.

I have added a link to expand out the full compatibility list. This way the
info is there for those few who can not test it themselves, and is out of
the way for people to find what they are looking for quickly.

There still seem to be a considerable number of people running XP SP2.
Not being able to run GIMP might be a wakeup call for some of them, yet
this whole change is done to avoid a different wakeup call, so maybe you
might want to reconsider...?

Reconsider what? The whole thing

Reconsider the wording of the Windows version compatibility.

Do you think the afore-mentioned expanding list idea will be adequate?
My thoughts: most people are going to be quite happy to click the thing
that looks like an orange download button, and go enjoy themselves some
GIMP goodness. :)

Thanks for the help, and happy Friday!

-PS: I'm happy to offer up source graphics files for anyone who wants to
help tinker. They are presently .svg vector Inkscape files, but I can
output some layered .xcf files as well if people want to GIMP them a bit.

-C