Re: [Gimp-developer] present xcf as what it is, a gimp project file format

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM, peter sikking <peter mmiworks net> wrote:

I think you are very selective there what conventions surround Import.
simply importing a an excel sheet into a non-ms program (open office,
apple’s numbers) comes with a host of fears and promises.

And GIMP unnecessarily continues this tradition.  If you open/import an indexed image, GIMP goes into this weird "Indexed" mode that makes editing all but impossible. This is very inconsistent with the asserted mental model.

And while I prefer having Export, one workflow is broken rather severely by this model: it is no longer possible to Import->Edit->Close->Export. The flow Import->Edit->Close-Save is available, but this is a fast flow that likely does not need to Save at all.

Chris