Re: [Gimp-developer] present xcf as what it is, a gimp project file format

Richard Gitschlag wrote:

> The term "Import" also has a well-entrenched meaning of "copy and paste from source file into current document".  GIMP already has such a function, the "Open As (Layer/etc)..." commands.

I think you are very selective there what conventions surround Import.
simply importing a an excel sheet into a non-ms program (open office,
apple’s numbers) comes with a host of fears and promises.
the fact that it has to be portrayed as an import (even though it
can and is done via the Open command) meshes with the fact that these
imports are lossy, non-perfect.

let’s be clear: the primary reason that there is both Open and
Open As (Layer/etc) is to steer new document creation or new
layer/etc creation. the rest is secondary.

> Various apps that still support saving in other than their preferred native formats

[snip]

I have already explained today where the flaw is in this (for GIMP,
context is everything).

here we stop going in circles.

    --ps

            man + machine interface works