Re: [gedit-list] Plugin installation method

Jean-Philippe Fleury wrote:
See the following discussion:

"Gedit Plugins - Unofficial Enhancement Proposal"
http://old.nabble.com/Gedit-Plugins---Unofficial-Enhancement-Proposal-td9111487.html

Quoting Zeth Green:
1. Single Plugin Format

Great concept, but...

...plugins can be organised in two ways. They can be a single
file, or they can be a directory. This inconsistency will make it very
complicated for graphical plugin installation and especially
uninstallation.

I think if you use a more capable packaging format, then using subdirectories or not has no impact on installation and uninstallation effort.

Independent of that motivation, keeping plugins organized in their own subdirectories is probably a good idea.

This may still require putting the plugin description file in the main directory, as recursively scanning for them may not scale all that great as plugin count goes up.

2. Single Plugin Location

It is too confusing for the user to have more than one plugin
location. I am proposing that there will now only be one place to
install plugins. I.e. ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins

This may be a useful simplification.

5. No bundled plugins.

I don't think this change provides much benefit. Bundled plugins serve as a proving ground for functionality that might be on the verge of incorporation into the core product.

But there is a problem related to bundled plugins - there is typically little to no information about what they do and how they work. If the user has to go visit some web site to learn about the plugin - perhaps even to become aware of the plugin - then you've lost most of the befit of having it bundled. The plugin manager needs to provide space for more explanatory text, and the bundled plugins need to supply that text. Ideally there should also be a link to a home page for each.

I am proposing that all the currently bundled plugins, and those of
the extra plugins pack, be incorporated into a new plugins website.

A better mechanism for finding and presenting the plugins should be one of the major numbered items in this proposal.

It would be nice if Sourceforge or similar sites had some mechanism that made it easy to organize and host plugins, which are more frequently becoming a part of projects.

I've seen some projects repurpose an issue tracker for this. Each plugin was a ticket, and the file was an attachment. A hack, but easy to implement.

The remainder of the proposal sounds reasonable.

 -Tom