Re: Aisleriot/Blackjack cards

Christian is that a +1 for default for you too? I'm not sure how to
interpret that. You sound rather skeptical.

Also included is a mail from Jerry that was sent directly to me.

- Thomas

------------------------

Thomas,

Hello again. Your reference to Ornamental prompted this reaction, although
I have other thoughts as well. I thought Ornamental looked very Chinese.
Maybe it's the predominance of red. Anyway, I didn't have a good reaction.

I like the Dondorf, but of course have no idea of the performance issues you
mentioned. To me, it was the best-looking of all the styles that were shown.

I'm currently using the set you sent me, under Ubuntu 7.10, but they still have
rendering issues that I think should be addressed. When I launch FreeCell
(full screen) on my P3/500, the green background comes up, but then I have
to wait almost a full TWO MINUTES before the cards appear. If it's going to
take that long, some kind of "patience" message should be provided to users.
Either that or throw up some place-holder rectangles so the user doesn't
think the program has frozen up, or at least some kind of progress icon.

Once the cards have been rendered in a size, why can't they be stored on
my disk? Full-screen will always be the same, unless I replace my monitor.

Players are interested in performance, not pretty face cards. When I play
FreeCell, sometimes for hours while watching TV, most games take less
than five minutes - three to six is typical - so I don't focus on "art" issues.

Anyway, that's my 2-cents-worth. Feel free to publish it if you're so inclined.

Jerry