Re: Feedback request: spending Foundation money

On 25 September 2017 at 10:48, Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
 1. Make it easier for non-Foundation members to get travel sponsorship. It
would be useful to know if there are particular groups that this might apply
to. Examples might include contributors who aren't members, potential
contributors or experts who are being brought in to consult/advise.

Exactly. In this case it was a "freedesktop/KDE" contributor i.e.
someone we've worked with on cross-desktop stuff for some time.

 2. Funds for "extras" at GNOME events, such as dinners. I'm guessing that
other things could be included, like drinks and snacks, or merchandise?
Also, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "team-building" - can you
elaborate?

A social thing, e.g. a meal at a restaurant, a day trip to a museum or
some rock climbing or something. It's a lot easier to build a
community if you know someone has a baby / likes motorbikes / hates
heights :)

 3. Higher standard hotels and flights. I'm maybe reading too much into your
mail here, but "super cheap hotel" makes it sound like you'd maybe like to
be able to stay somewhere a little nicer?

Well, it was kinda tongue in cheek; personally I don't mind staying
somewhere budget as the whole point is to get people in the same place
at the same time -- but for some people having to share rooms means
they're unlikely to participate. Maybe we could have some flexibility
in the travel options, or if there currently is some flexibility, some
guidance on what is and isn't appropriate.

Thanks!

Richard.