Re: Linking to non-free websites from gnome.org

The issue at hand is not a matter of endorsement.  At least, not in the
usual sense of the word.

I am not sure I agree.

It seems like what we are talking about here is whether or not we should be using certain services and advertising that we use those services on GNOME websites.

If a link suggests "hey, we at GNOME, use this" and in some cases (e.g. indieGoGo) goes further, "Hey, we at GNOME prefer to use this over everything else available" (where "this" is an offending service/site/whatever), then how would that not be an endorsement?

Atheletes endorse certain products just by using them all the time. Sometimes these can be products they don't actually personally like using, either.

I think that a banner ad for Builder endorses Builder.  (That's fine.)
It does not really endorse Indiegogo, but it does urge people to go to
the Indiegogo site and donate.

I would still have to say that the banner advertises Builder (and of course, endorses it too) but that it also inadvertently endorses the use of indiGoGo, in the process.

Magdalen