Re: Linking to non-free websites from gnome.org

On 01/03/2015 07:48 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
That's because the several crowdfunding sites I had investigated all
had the same unethical practice of requiring donors to run nonfree
software.  There was not one that we could use without contradicting
the principles of the free software movement.  This is a serious
problem and I've been looking for a solution for more than a year.

Didn't I tell you this at the time?

Since then, I have come across one site, crowdsupply.com, which offers
a way to send money bypassing the nonfree JS code.  That makes it
better than the others.  I urge people to choose crowdsupply.com for
future campaigns.

The problem is that it takes *months* to prepare a proper crowdfunding
campaign. So if you didn't suggest crowdsupply to me back at the
hackfest, it was simply *too late* to be reasonably actionable (despite
that I might agree it would be a good idea).

I hadn't realized others had used indiegogo to crowdfund for your travel
though. Were there lessons learned from that we should know about?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/richard-stallman-s-air-ticket-to-speak-in-south-africa/x/8947753

-- Christian