Re: Linking to non-free websites from gnome.org

Hi,
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Christian Hergert <christian hergert me> wrote:
On 01/05/2015 03:44 PM, Magdalen Berns wrote:
> To elaborate on the point about fundraisers a little further: Also
> though I have to wonder whether future fundraisers could maybe be
> handled in the same way as the groupon fundraiser was managed.
> http://www.gnome.org/groupon/ since that did not seem to be too
> controversial at the time. If that sort of thing would mean more work
> but ultimately lower fees, then perhaps GNOME could also take an
> administrative cut off the top for managing the donations on behalf of
> the relevant project developers? It might also be worthwhile for us to
> set up a dedicated wiki page guide explaining what alternative
> fundraising platforms GNOME want projects to use and compile a list of
> links on there and have some recommendations for standard practices. It
> might also be handy for those wishing to fund their projects if we
> compiled and outline the logical steps a project manager and/or project
> developer might take to get set up and seek permission and support with
> launch etc.

If crowdfunding was a service that the GNOME foundation offered it's
members, I would be in favor of that. However, as it stands today, I
believe this would cause undue burden on the board.

Additionally, I'm against a policy on external links based on their
_javascript_, full stop. (However, I'm willing to entertain a policy based
on other guidelines).

Speaking for myself, I use Blogger and link to non-free websites on wiki pages (e.g. in the "prior art" section on the gnome-sound-recorder wiki page). I think people should make their own decisions about ethics as long as they are not causing other people harm, and I also don't think establishing policies regulating things like this is a good use of resources. imo.

MegĀ

-- Christian