Re: Builder crowdsourcing banner on PGO

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 11:27 PM, Alexandre Franke
<alexandre franke gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano fidencio org> wrote:
4) If not, considering that your bank have some people running nonfree
software, should not we close the bank account once we would be paying
for someone use a nonfree software and it is an ethical problem?

The issue Richard is pointing to with IndieGogo is that non-free
software is mandatory to use the service (make a donation).

As I said, I didn't ask about the IndieGoGo issue.

I was putting things in context to explain why the issue with
IndieGogo is not as much of an issue anymore when it comes to banking.

Even if a
bank uses non-free software on its website, and unless it's a 100%
online bank, you can still use their service (make a deposit,
transfer, or withdraw money) by going to the bank and talking to a
person, so nobody forces non-free software on you.

But if all the tools used to do your/the bank transactions run nonfree
software it can be an issue, as fair as I can see (and as far as I
understand we should avoid it instead of just ask for a layer of free
software running).

Can you be more explicit about what you mean with "tools used to do
your/the bank transactions run nonfree software"

AFAIU, when you do a bank transfer, the job responsible for your
transaction will be executed in the next scheduled period.
There are people monitoring and scheduling it (most likely not using
free software for this), there is a system on where it is being
running (same here ...).
Apart from that, when you open your bank account you deal with people
using an OS, using the bank applications, most likely non-free
software. When you do a deposit in cash, for someone working in the
bank, mos likely this person is not running a free software. And so
on, and so on ...

If are you really concerned about people using non free software, you
should take everything in consideration, no? Asking for a thin layer
of free software stuff running seems a bit useless for me.

And I'm really wondering how much these random comments about "not
good, not free software" coming from and with no real suggestions can
help instead of just generate noise and silly discussions like this
one.

5) If we don't find any bank that can provide a service without run a
nonfree software, what would be your recommendation?

Moot.

Didn't get what you mean by moot.

I meant that given my answer to question 4, question 5 did not stand anymore.

Hmm. Didn't get good examples from "moot" in the Urban Dictionary
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moot).
Maybe it should be used a bit more carefully. :-)

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano Fidêncio