Re: foundation application..

> Further to that, on looking at some of the recent membership data
> gathered so far with specific regard to the interns, I have to say, it
> does seem like a few interns have been significantly undervaluing
> their own contributions by waiting much longer to apply than seems
> appropriate for active contributors to be doing with some seeming to
> have waited as long as two years actually, which is of course,
> absolutely ridiculous.

Why would you think this is ridiculous, or has anything to do with
undervaluing ones contributions ?

What else do you think would prevent someone who is actively contributing for two years, from applying to formally become part of the community?

To be perfectly frank, granting commit access to GNOME revision control
repositories is already a huge token of trust, it normally takes at
least some months (reasonable number anywhere between 3 to 6 months
after the initial encounter ?) before a project maintainer can vouch for
someone to be a committer in full confidence.

I had commit access and my own shell account before considering becoming
a foundation member - not being a foundation member was not a 'bad
thing', it's not like I had no right to discuss the direction of the
project on d-d-l with many other contributors and maintainers, before
becoming a foundation member. You are not a 'less valuable' contributor
for not being a foundation member.

Becoming a foundation member was just where I drew the line between
being a project contributer and maintainer, and decided that I wanted
to have some kind of a say in how the foundation itself was run (and
even this is IMO still of much lesser importance than having a voice
in the direction and development of the projects housed in the GNOME
umbrella, for which, again, a foundation membership is not required).

In any case, you may think that 2 years is a long time, I certainly
think that 2 months is an extremely short time - my personal view on
the thing is that the foundation should be comprised of those who
actually really give a damn, I find it hard to conceive how the MC
could possibly judge the commitment of such a short term contributor.

Behold! The Charter (Principles of the GNOME Foundation):  https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/FoundationBoard/Resources/Charter?action="">