Re: foundation application..

On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 09:46 +0000, Magdalen Berns wrote:
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 6:32 AM, Germán Poo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org> wrote:

On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 20:54 -0800, Christian Hergert wrote:
On 02/12/2015 07:33 PM, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
I think you bring up an interesting point, but I also like the idea
that foundation membership is not a badge you earn if you contribute
"enough", but hints to a deeper involvement with the community inner
workings.
I argue that a 3-months contribution from someone fresh to the project
might or might not be enough to grant membership regardless of how
they have been involved with the project, and I'm curious whether the
case you are bringing up is theoretical or if there have been cases of
interns interested in foundation membership dismissed solely on the
supposed "intern clause". Of course I do support any initiative that
aims to make the foundation a more welcoming place!

I think the point here is that if our current bylaws claim one thing, we
should adhere to that for the time being. If we don't agree with the
bylaws, then they should be altered, which is a different process.

The foundation bylaws predates any outreach program (including bounties,
that predates outreach programs) by many years.  Therefore, hardly can
address this special case.

Back then there was no program where we were proactively seeking
contributors by offering them money. Back then, if anybody applied after
contributing for a period of time, then it was kind-of-clear(TM) they
were to continue in the project.

I am talking about both GSoC and Outreach Program interns and this is
factually incorrect either way: GSoC has been going for 10 years and
Outreach Program seems to have been going since 2010. The bylaws were last
updated in 2012. Moreover though, it's worth pointing out again that
sponsored contributors are not a new thing for GNOME the question of the
value of their contributions is covered in the bylaws which state,
"Contributions
made in the course of employment will be considered and will be ascribed to
the individuals involved, rather than accruing to all employees of a
“contributing” corporation".

As you say, the bylaws were updated, not rewritten.  The updates, though
important were minor.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/