Re: foundation application..

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:52:32PM +0000, Magdalen Berns wrote:
If you have a concrete reason why it does help to continue to ignore bylaws
that are inconvenient for whatever is more convenient, then you are free to
make a case for that. California law probably would probably override that
idea, though.

I tried to nicest way to let you see a different point of view, taking
into account the previous failure to have any discussion with you.

It seems you're not open in understanding what I mean.

This is not a complicated process, it is fairly clear and transparent
(especially when compared with the alternative). What is the problem with
using It?

Yeah, just focus on whatever the bylaws might or not might take. Did you
read my email? Did you make any effort to grasp what I'm trying to say?

Your questions indicate you did not.

Various people have stayed after GSoC (+ anything similar). On other
hand: some you don't hear about at all once they leave. For some
internship, the person has a mentor assigned to them. That eases the
"stickyness" vs someone who sends patches on his own. I'd wonder about
why someone applies, is it real interest in GNOME and free software, or
just good for resume and finding work?

As Meg seems to have pointed out already in her question, the same could be
said for any sponsored contributor. The bylaws are explicit in not
discriminating against sponsored/paid contributors compared with any other
kind of contributor. There is a concrete process for anyone who disagrees
with bylaws to suggest an amendment to them.

I've asked you to consider chasing the meaning of bylaws. "Non-trivial
effort" is open to interpretation.

For foundation membership (IIRC) to have to specify a few people to
vouch for you. I have never been a mentor. I'm wonder if the mentor
could guess if the person would stay or not.

I think detailing the expectations would help a lot.

At the moment we are talking about whether it is justifiable to tell all
successful interns that they are not eligible for membership not how the
membership committee make their decisions. The bylaws give the membership
committee the overriding decision but says all applications are to be
considered on a case-by-case basis.

The way you're holding discussions on foundation-list, you think you're
doing the best for those members. That's great, but having some slight
respect for comments from people who have been around for quite a while
would be appreciated.

--
Olav