Re: foundation application..

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 06:30:51PM +0000, Magdalen Berns wrote:
If you have a concrete reason why it does help to continue to ignore
bylaws
that are inconvenient for whatever is more convenient, then you are free
make a case for that. California law probably would probably override
that
idea, though.

I tried to nicest way to let you see a different point of view, taking
into account the previous failure to have any discussion with you.

It seems you're not open in understanding what I mean.

This is not a complicated process, it is fairly clear and transparent
(especially when compared with the alternative). What is the problem with
using It?

Yeah, just focus on whatever the bylaws might or not might take. Did you
read my email? Did you make any effort to grasp what I'm trying to say?

Your questions indicate you did not.

The effort I made was to I ask what you were on about and that is still not
very clear.

I'll try in a different way:
- there's apparently a different criteria being applied
- you seem to focus on what the bylaws state

This IMO skips an important part of trying to figure out why a different
criteria is being applied. For instance, you mention that according to
the bylaws it is not allowed to make a distinction. Further, it is not
allowed by some court. I don't think you're right in asserting that. I
might totally agree with you that having the distinction is wrong, but
regarding this point I don't see it the same way. Especially regarding
assumptions on what a judge would rule and so on. There's more to it
than just bylaws. IMO you have too much of a programmers view on this.
Could even be that standard practice trumps bylaws.

IMO it is better to first focus on *why* a different criteria is applied
and then figure out what to do, rather than ignoring the why and going
for *if* they can do that. IMO if there's a valid concern then it really
doesn't matter to spend so much time on if they're allowed or not.

Those following, might have noticed that this was done in the opening part
of the discussion and it seemed to be generally agreed that some interns do
make non-trivial contributions. At least, nobody seems to have disagreed
with that idea, anyway.

Most interns seem to vanish quite quickly after their internship is
over. Maybe not true at all anymore, there are a few exceptions, but
that has been a topic of discussion for various years.

I think more concretely specifying what membership committee expects is
helpful.

--
Regards,
Olav