Re: Minutes of the Board meeting of October 29th, 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Tobias Mueller <muelli cryptobitch de> wrote:
Hi.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 09:03:34AM -0500, Emily Gonyer wrote:
And, once again, I have to ask, how much different does it have/need
to be?
I don't think any designer would want my advice as to how to make a logo.
But I am very confident that minor modifications such as using the Ubuntu circle
instead of a plain filled circle would make all of us happy.

It is slightly different already, in Ubuntu's normal scheme for
spinoffs - if you look at Xubuntu's logo its a solid circle with the
XFCE mouse inside in relief
I claim false facts.
The XFCE logo seems to be this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Xfce_logo.png
A full bodied, potentially running mouse in front of an X.
The Xubuntu logo seems to be that one:
http://xubuntu.org/wp-content/themes/xubuntu-theme/xubuntu-wp/images/xubuntu-logo.png
It's a (probably the XFCE) mouse's head in a filled circle.
So the logos differ.

Kubuntu's is a solid circle with KDE's logo inside.
The KDE logo <http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Guidelines/CIG/KDE_Logo> is a
K gear.
The Kubuntu logo <http://www.kubuntu.org/themes/kubuntu10.04/logo.png>
has a split gear-wheel only. The K is missing.
Thus, the logos differ.

Alright. So how about this. We chop the toes off of the foot, so its
not quite the same. Will that work for you? Of course not. That'd be
'bad design'. This nit picking is what makes people hate GNOME. What
makes people (good people!) throw up their arms and say screw it!
Cause' trying to work with GNOME isn't worth it - its far more hassle
than its worth, and far easier/better/simpler to just fork and move
on. As Cinnamon and Elementary have done. Or avoid (whenever possible)
acknowledging that they're using portions of GNOME as XFCE is.

As Dave pointed out, back a few yrs ago, people who were using only
portions of GNOME were happily included in the GNOME family. But now
GNOME insists on drawing utterly arbitrary and constantly shifting
lines in the sand as to what constitutes 'GNOME'. Its ridiculous. Its
spiteful, and above all its counter productive.

Cheers,
  Tobi

--
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it. -  Goethe

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr.Seuss

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that
counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein